top of page

Match Report | Washington (H)

Dale Hopson (Northallerton Town) vs Washington
Dale Hopson looking to make things happen for Town

Town overcame a 2-0 deficit to progress into the next round of the Brooks Mileson Memorial League cup with a 3-2 win over Washington.

It certainly wasn't pretty from Town but it was a gutsy performance in the end which secured progression against our Division Two opponents.

First Half

Washington came flying out of the blocks in the opening exchanges full of fight for what was a massive game for them.

This aggressive mentality should have seen them reduced to 10 men on 6 minutes as a truly awful challenge from new signing Sam Irwin caught Cam Thomson extremely high but only a yellow was shown.

The visitors did capitalise on their positive start only a minute later.

A poor ball back to the defence gave the lively Flavio Silva space to run at the defence and he picked out Nathan Nkunku whose clipped effort found the bottom corner.

Town did react positively to going behind and had a glorious chance to level the tie with 15 minutes played.

It was a good attacking run from Alistair Banks who found Mason Hardy and the striker fired at goal only to see the visitors 'keeper get a hand to the shot and deflect it onto the crossbar.

Dan Jones (Northallerton Town) vs Washington
Dan Jones on a forward run

Town started to dominate the ball but still struggled to create clear-cut opportunities on the Washington goal.

The returning Jack Connor had to be replaced by Dale Hopson just shy of the half-hour mark and Town pushed to get back level.

The rest of the half was mainly marred by multiple bookings for the away side as they continued with their aggressive approach and the half ended with Town behind.

HT - Northallerton 0 - 1 Washington

Second Half

Things went from bad to worse at the start of the second period, with Washington pulling further ahead.

Jack Docherty found space down the right and his cross was met by Flavio Silva and his scuffed finish was enough to squeeze in.

Town again began to respond positively and dominate possession. Hardy looked the most likely to pull a goal for Town as he fired over 5 minutes after the second goal.

Town did grab the all-important first goal on the hour mark in unconventional circumstances.

Sean Chidanyika (Northallerton Town)
Sean Chidanyika brought Town back into the tie

Ali Banks again caused trouble down the right and it was Sean Chidanyika coming on the support who got the killer touch, he received the ball on the wing and looked to whip the ball in. However, the cross didn't find its intended target and instead flew over Lawrence in the Washington goal and nestled into the back of the net.

Sam Spenceley and Simmi Tchabo Tchounga entered the fray replacing Leon Scott and Cam Thomson and it slowly became a question of when Town would grab another as Washington began to sit on the 2-1 advantage.

Spenceley had an opportunity to level with around 20 to play but he pulled his shot across the face of goal.

Successive opportunities for both Hardy and Hopson saw good Washington defending deflect goalbound efforts wide before Dale Hopson saw a chipped effort headed clear on the goalline.

Town did however grab the equaliser shortly after and left the game all to play for with 7 minutes remaining.

Mason Hardy (Northallerton Town) scores a header
Mason Hardy headed home the equaliser

Ben Jackson did well to find space to dig out a cross and it found Mason Hardy who headed home to score in successive games since signing.

Town would continue to apply immense pressure on the Washington goal in the closing minutes.

Hopson would see another effort cleared off the line before Ali Banks fired over from inside the area. Washington captain, Aaron Duell would then be sin-binned for his behaviour towards the match officials.

In the dying minutes, a scramble in the area prevented Hopson before Hardy fired narrowly fire over the bar. It looked more and more likely that the tie would be decided by a penalty shootout but there was one more twist to come.

Ali Banks was sent racing in behind the Washington defence and beat his man into the area where he cut the ball back to Hopson who in turn knocked it once more to Mason Hardy who fired home his 3rd goal in 2 games.

Mason Hardy (Northallerton Town) fires home
Hardy then grabbed his second and what was the winner in stoppage time

Washington then tried in vain to find themselves another goal to level the tie up once more but could only fall on a late shout for handball in the area to which the officials had no interest.

FT - Northallerton 3 - 2 Washington


Fairless, Chidanyika, Cocks, Scott (Spenceley 61'), Jones, Flounders, Banks, Connor (Hopson 29'), Thomson (Tchabo Tchounga 68'), Hardy, Jackson

Subs not used: Luck

Goals: Chidanyika (61'), Hardy (83', 90+5')


Lawrence, Johnson, Mohamed, Burton, Irwin, Gibbon, Duell, Hughes (Hawes 45'), Silva (O'Reilly 68'), Nkunku, Docherty (Martindale 56')

Goals: Nkunku (7'), Silva (47')

233 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page