top of page

Match Report | Longridge Town (H)

Town were to host Longridge Town of the North West Counties Football League in the Isuzu FA Vase in what was our first game since the devasting news that long serving supporter and ex-Secretary Ken Lomer had passed away earlier in the week.

A minute's silence was held to pay our respects and Ken's family were in attendance.

First Half

The opening exchanges didn't bear much fruit, however it was Town who perhaps had the better of things firstly with Tommy Marron firing over the bar from inside the area. John Howard was the next to have a chance on goal when a cross found it's way past everyone and narrowly past the Longridge keeper and the upright.

Unfortunately, Town were done through a contentious decision to award a corner despite the ball going out of play via the face of the Longridge striker.

The award of the corner can be long debated, but the set piece was only cleared as far as the edge of the area, where Scott Harries was on hand to fire into the bottom right with a well-struck effort.

Town would go on to huff and puff for the majority of the first half, struggling to create any real chances of note despite periods of possession.

However, with around 5 minutes before the break the attacking spark began. Joe Spalding was causing havoc down the left for Town, he stood up his marker and made room for a thunderous effort which cannoned back off the post.

Good interplay between Howard and Spalding saw the latter through down the right and he did well to pick out the run of Matty Waters who was unable to convert the cross.

A final chance of the stroke of half-time again fell for Town. After the initial ball was cleared following a corner, Shaun Ryder picked out Tommy Marron in the six-yard box but the skipper was unable to convert the effort.

HT - Northallerton Town 0 - 1 Longridge Town

Second Half

Town made two changes at the break, with Micky Rae and Anthony Snook coming on to replace Sean Chidanyika and the injured Matty Waters.

Town started where they left off in the first and were looking the most likely to score the next goal. Again, having success via Spalding with Howard and Nathan Stephenson also having efforts.

However, it would be Micky Rae who got Town back on levels terms after a smart finish past the Longridge goalkeeper after being played clean through on goal.

It wouldn't last long however as within a matter of minutes, Longridge would once again take the lead.

Paul Turner firing home after getting on the end of a cross from the left hand side. Town would go on to concede twice more in quick succession.

Firstly, from Jack Arrowsmith as his crossed effort deflected of Matthew Crust and deflected past Nick Cranston, and the second fell kindly to Paul Turner once more following a weak headed clearance from the on-rushinf Cranston.

Town would fire back once more via Micky Rae as he converted from a Joe Spalding cross after more good play down the Town right.

Town would go on to look the most likely to score the next goal but despite their efforts they couldn't create another clear opportunity to further close the gap. To rub salt in the wounds, Crust saw red for successive yellow cards as Longridge saw out a victory.

FT - Northallerton Town 2 - 4 Longridge Town

20 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page