top of page

Match Report | Heaton Stannington (H)

Town were undone by a clinical Heaton side with a helping of contentious decisions from the officials as they succumbed to a 5-1 defeat at home.

First Half

Town did start the game brightly despite the blustery conditions, however, they would suffer an early setback.

Dom Moan was adjudged to have committed a foul around the halfway line and the resulting freekick was pumped into the Town box (with some wind assistance) where Heaton captain, Joe Shepherd was on hand to knock the ball down into the path of South Shields loanee, Alfie Marriott to finish to put the visitors into the lead after 4 minutes.

Town however didn't drop their heads and would be back on level terms before 10 minutes had elapsed. Saturday's MOTM, McKenzie Dicicco cut in from the left and released a powerful drive at goal which Lewis Brass could only palm into the area where Jack Connor was the quickest to react, holding off a defender before firing home.

The first half would only get more eventful. Firstly came the award of a penalty for Heaton which was simply put an extremely harsh call for handball - one I imagine would have been overturned if the Northern League had VAR. Nevertheless, the resulting spot-kick was dispatched by Leighton Hopper.

McKenzie Dicicco (Northallerton Town) vs Heaton Stannington
McKenzie Dicicco runs at the Heaton defence

A third goal then came the visitor's way. Again for Town, referring decisions would go against them. Leighton Hopper received the ball out on the right despite being what looked to be a few yards offside before squaring for Louis Anderson to fire home.

A further sucker punch came around 5 minutes before HT as Kane Evans did well to work space down the right to square for Konner Lamb whose initial effort was well blocked but the attacker was fortunate the rebound fell for him to fire home.

HT - Northallerton Town 1 - 4 Heaton Stannington

Second Half

Heaton came out of the blocks in the second half and knocked the wind out of any potential comeback into the game.

Again aided by questionable officiating as Shepherd was found out on the right, again suspiciously offside and Louis Anderson once again applied the finishing touches.

No fewer than 9 substitutions (including a quadruple sub from Heaton) came during the next 10-15 minutes, essentially killing off the game with both teams trying to adapt to the increasingly blustery conditions.

Dale Hopson (Northallerton Town) vs Heaton Stannington
Dale Hopson has a shot at goal

Town did have a few forays forward as the half progressed with Luke Hogan, Ali Banks and Cam Thomson all looking lively when introduced however there wasn't to be any further incidents and all eyes turn to what can only be described as a 6-pointer on Saturday.

FT - Northallerton Town 1 - 5 Heaton Stannington


Fairless, Tchabo Tchounga (Jones 56'), Cocks, Scott, McGuckin, Flounders, Connor, Moan (Hogan 58'), Coleman (Thomson 68'), Hopson (C), Dicicco (Banks 68')

Subs not used: Luck

Goals: Connor (9')

Heaton Stannington

Brass, Evans (Doyle 60'), Shepherd (C) (Hornsby 60'), Reid (Dunn 56'), Marriott, Turnbull, Hopper (Lashley 60'), Burn (Sayer 60'), Anderson, Stephenson, Lamb

Goals: Marriott (4'), Hopper (21' pen), Anderson (35', 46'), Lamb (38')

5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page