top of page

Match Report | Chester-Le-Street Town (H)

It was a glorious day for some FA Vase action, the sun was beaming down on The Calvert Stadium as we hosted Chester-Le-Street Town of the Ebac Northern League Division Two.

The visitors are currently 18th in the second division with 5 points from their opening 8 fixtures to date. Northallerton were looking to make it two wins on the bounce following their 2-0 win over Penrith mid-week.


Northallerton were the dominant side in the opening exchanges, they dominated possession and were passing the ball around with ease - which was hard work for CLS in the 24-degree heat and constant sun.

It did take around 10 minutes or so for Northallerton to get their first sight on goal, a cross found its way to Damian Giliga in the area but his volleyed effort was both high and wide.

The next opportunity saw Dan Jones bringing the ball up from centre-back and winning a FK in a promising position. Nathan Stephenson duly converted albeit via a deflection off the wall as it sailed past the CLS keeper.

Being a goal ahead further cemented Northallerton's dominance over proceedings however they weren't able to make this advantage count in the form of additional goals.

John Howard was unable to hit the target as he dragged his effort wide from the edge of the area, before successive offside calls against Damian Giliga disrupted the flow of attacks.

It would be Luke Jones with the last effort before HT but he could only fire over from the edge of the area.

HT - Northallerton 1 - 0 Chester-Le-Street

Second Half

Northallerton were quick to try and put the game out of sight from kick-off, with Joe Spalding being played in behind the CLS defence but he was unable to get on the end of the through ball before it ran out of play.

However, Northallerton were soon to be their own worst enemy.

A defensive error, allowed CLS to break towards Dawson in goal, some good play eventually fell the way of Cameron Nichol who fired CLS level.

Snook, McMann and Cocks soon came on to replace Jackson, L Jones and Giliga to try and rearrange the side in order to get back ahead.

John Howard saw a fantastic acrobatic effort tipped over the bar by the CLS keeper however the referee and his linesman saw fit to give a goal-kick.

Charlie Graham now deployed as a LWB had the license to get forward and he was causing havoc to the CLS defence with his powerful running. One of these runs led to a sight at goal but unfortunately, he dragged his effort wide.

Good play from Reece McMann gave him space to fire an effort at goal which was tipped behind for a corner. The resulting corner saw Joe Spalding hit the bar before Charlie Graham rose the highest to head home the rebound.

Town could have put the game to bed in the dying embers but the CLS keeper pulled off a fantastic double stop, first to deny a first Northallerton goal for Reece McMann and then to deny Stephenson.

FT - Northallerton 2 - 1 Chester-Le-Street

153 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page