top of page

Match Report | Carlisle City (A)

Town made the unenviable 172-mile round trip to face newly promoted Carlisle City. This would be the first game in a triple header of away games over the course of the next 7 days.


Town started the game brightly with John Howard striking the bar from the outside of the area early on, and doing their best to disrupt the hosts attacking intentions.

As the tie grew on, Town were the better side with the control of possession but not quite carving open any opportunities of note. Stephenson was next to test the Carlisle goal drawing a good save from keeper Townsley.

It was with their first real foray forward of the game saw the hosts take the lead against the run of play. Brandon Longcake the scorer, the Carlisle man found himself free inside the area and slotted past debutant goalkeeper Nick Cranston.

The game then became more physical and had some added bite. Carlisle were fortunate to keep 11 men on the same after a poor challenge and Town continue to press on in search of an equaliser with Stephenson having an effort deflected behind and then Graham heading wide from a free-kick.

In the last minute of added time, it would be Carlisle who struck once more. Town struggled to clear their lines from a cross put in from the right-hand side and it was Sam Atkinson who was on hand to fire a fantastic effort into the top corner.

Town were the better side in the half but found themselves trailing at the break.

Half-Time: Carlisle City 2 - 0 Northallerton


Town were in need of a fast start in order to make a game of the tie. This duly arrived. Kyle Lancaster caused problems for the Carlisle defence down the right and his driven cross evaded everyone in the area until it found John Howard who drove his effort past Townsley to pull one back almost immediately from kick-off.

With fresh impetus from clawing a goal back, Town were piling pressure onto the hosts in search of the equaliser but couldn't quite create a clear opening.

Crust was on hand to deny Carlisle extending their lead further with an excellent goalline clearance. Despite Town dictating the majority of proceedings, Carlisle were looking dangerous on the break with Cranston having to be alert to make a smart stop to deny another breakaway effort.

Some half chances for Town followed after changes were made but nothing would quite fall the way of Luke Jones or Damian Giliga as the lads pushed for the equaliser.

Town's fightback took a blow when Sean Chidanyika saw red for a late challenge which sparked a melee in which every single player from the hosts was going at the Town man. Townsley saw yellow for his involvement despite the entirety of Carlisle's team being involved.

Town fought bravely to try and find the equaliser but they just couldn't find the killer instinct required to trouble the Carlisle backline.

Full-Time: Carlisle City 2 - 1 Northallerton

144 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page